Re: New Install of F29 in a VM Doesn't Display the Grub Menu

On 2/12/19 1:28 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
    I have installed Windows 10 on my raid system as that was the only OS the new motherboard provided raid drivers for at install time. The install of Windows 10 was done in UEFI mode (albeit there doesn't appear to be a UEFI partition on the ssd windows is installed to, there is only the drive C partition, a system partition and a recovery partition) and the bios is currently set to UEFI mode. Under windows I have installed vmware and used the USB live install of F29 that I have (which would not boot natively in UEFI mode) which successfully installed F29. Having done the install every time I boot it does not display a grub menu even though there are multiple kernels installed. In F28 there was a grub default file with supplied initial "default" grub configurations which other files in /etc/grub.d supplemented to build (in a bios installation) /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, but this default file doesn't appear to be present in F29. Looking in /etc there is a link named grub2-efi.cfg as well as grub2.cfg, the former of which is a link to /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg, but this .cfg file does not exist. Assuming there is a menu with a timeout of 0 so that it doesn't display, where do I find the grub files that will allow me to change that timeout and configure how the grub menus will display?

The Fedora install under vmware would be in BIOS mode unless vmware supports UEFI now like qemu does. This means that /boot/grub2/grub.cfg is the active config file. On a new F29 install, the grub menu is hidden by default unless there is more than one OS available.

I'm not sure which default grub configuration you're referring to. Do you mean /etc/default/grub?