Re: After an update, VM's no longer have Internet access

On Sat, 2019-01-26 at 07:18 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> > I tried reloading firewalld and got the same result. I fired up the
> > firewall applet and suddenly the guests had network access, even though
> > I didn't change anything. I quit the applet and boom, the guests lost
> > network access again. Fired it up once more, but this time the guest
> > access didn't come back.
> >
> > I don't know if any of this is repeatable. Time to slaughter a chicken
> > by the light of the moon?
>
> Well, my next suggestion was going to be to disable the firewall as a test.  But, I must
> admit that I was hesitant to suggest that since DHCP seems to have worked.
>
> I just now installed F29 Workstation in a guest using virtio and it is working just fine.
> FWIW, I only have vnet0 and no vnet1.
>
> No errors show in firewalld status.  virbr0 and vnet0 both show as being in the Default
> Zone: public in the firewall configuration under "Connections".  I have no Rich Rules defined.

The plot thickens. First of all, my snippet from wireshark was of
course wrong as I was monitoring virbr0 instead of vnet0. Silly me.

Secondly, after a reboot to make sure everything was in default state,
I fired up the Fedora guest alone, and lo and behold it worked. Then I
fired up the Windows guest. It didn't work. Took it down and now the
Fedora guest stopped working. Stopped and restarted both of them and
they both work. Then suddenly they don't. Then they do again, or one
does and the other doesn't.

While all this is going on, I try ping6 to both of them. It always
works, even when ping doesn't.

My theory is that something is messing with DHCP. I'm running dnsmasq
but I've been doing that for months. However avahi is also running, so
perhaps there's some kind of conflict. And libvirtd apparently also
runs its own dnsmasq internally, according to
https://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Libvirtd_and_dnsmasq

poc