Re: PTZ camera control -

On 1/15/19 7:52 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> On 01/14/19 17:33, Rick Stevens wrote:
>>   ZoneMinder is available from the repos.
> .
> Ok, I dnf installed zoneminder this morning, that part is easy enough,
> but apparently it does not create a working zoneminder program. That led
> to a Fedora instruction that I've been going through for an hour now ...
> I went back and entered zoneminder in Dragora and that wants to update
> Firefox and Thunderbird too. I don't want the latest of either of those,
> is that really required to run zoneminder?
>
> And then it appears to want an mysql database per the instruction I read
>
> It's beginning to look like zoneminder would require another computer
> dedicated to it if I am to use it?
>
> Have I gone off on the wrong path and gotten confused?

No, ZM is a complete system and yes, it needs a MySql (MariaDB)
database. It does NOT need an updated Thunderbird or Firefox. ZM runs
under a web server to provide a web GUI to control it, but any browser
that supports Javascript will work. I expect Dragora wants to update
those two are simply because Dragora's database says you're running old
versions (Dragora uses Packagekit's databases and caches--not DNF's). In
other words, those updates have nothing to do with ZM.

Setting up ZM isn't that difficult, but if you're not familiar with
MySQL or Apache or nginx (you choose which web server you're going to
use for ZM to run in), then yeah, it can be confusing.

The detailed instructions will be in the

	/usr/share/doc/zoneminder-common/README.[nginx|httpd]

file after installing the zoneminder-common RPM. Note that the reason I
suggested ZM wasn't necessarily for you to run it, but that you might be
able to borg some of the Perl scripts it uses to talk to the PTZ part of
the camera. There may be simpler tools out there to do that. I don't
know.

I use ZM and it works well for what I need. There are issues with
SELinux and ZM recommends disabling it. I have a boatload of home-brewed
TEs so I can run SELinux and get around those issues, but I can't
promise the TEs are generic (or safe) enough to publish (I'm no SELinux
expert). My machine is behind two different hardware firewalls, so it's
relatively insulated from the Internet and I've had no issues, but
others may not be in the same boat. I have no desire to open other
peoples' machines to attacks because I have a loose TE that wasn't
vetted adequately.