Re: Smallest Fedora box to use as gateway/firewall/VPN

On 08/01/2019 17:52, George N. White III wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 12:10, Alex <mysqlstudent@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mysqlstudent@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi,
    I need a gateway for our new office. I'd like it to run Fedora. What
    are my options? I'd like to be able to do the following:

       - provide VPN back to the main office
       - provide basic masquerading of hosts on inside network
       - be small enough to fit on a shelf. Preferably fanless
       - web-based administration
       - ssh access

Have a look at https://www.pcengines.ch/apu2.htm ; These offer 2 or 3 ethernet
ports, small form factor, and fanless.  Fedora is not a good choice for this
role unless you are willing to devote time and effort to testing new versions
as they appear.  In that case you would want a couple systems so each new
release could be tested before going into serivice.   Pcengines has centos7
images for apu systems.

    We're experienced admins, so a simple interface isn't specifically
    necessary, but desired.

    It's only for a few remote office workers, so it doesn't have to be
    particularly powerful, but should be responsive enough to support
    regular ssh and VPN activity.

Avoid USB NIC's.     Have a look at pfSense <https://www.pfsense.org/getting-started/>
--
George N. White III

Working on this as well.

I have looked at pfSense and I am also looking at OPNsense

 	https://opnsense.org/

I have a friend that uses pfsense for a small network at a resort and does remote admin when required. For wireless he uses dedicated access points. IPFire looks interesting but it looks like it wants to be more than a firewall/gateway.

	https://www.ipfire.org/

The one point my friend mentions is using seperate network ports for the various vlans and combine at the firewall. He prefers this method for his network.

I would look at a fanless solution as well. We have had some Intel based units that have been major problems with heat. Needed to be in cool rooms all the time. Cannot remember the name though.

pfSense has a list of recommended hardware for throughput bandwidth.

	http://pfsensesetup.com/pfsense-hardware-requirements/

It is interesting to read.

Have fun.