Re: Software for streaming audio or video over LAN

On 12/19/18 7:59 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
Guys, I'm surprised that this thing is so complicated to design. If I
were to do it, I'd just have the server add a timestamp tag to each
packet, indicating that "this packet is to be played at 09:34:27 GMT",
and send enough packets ahead of time to clients. Each client then
collects enough packets, decodes the data, and plays it according to
the timestamps. Given that, any synchronization issues between the
system clocks of the clients should be handled by NTP, which already
does an excellent job.

Am I missing some obvious problem with such a design?

Most software is designed for people that don't have any idea what NTP is. :-)

And I'm also surprised that LMS is the only choice here? Could it
really be true that nobody else implemented anything like this, ever?
Because to me it sounds like a quite common thing to ask for. When I
posted the question, I was expecting to receive at least 4-5 different
suggestions, and then people would start fighting over which one is the
most convenient, etc... Instead, I receive only one suggestion (LMS),
and a bunch of responses that what I'm asking for is more or less
impossible to design, which is quite surprising.

I looked for a long time before I found this. I was starting to work on my own solution. I think the consumer market prefers pre-built solutions like the Sonos speakers. Also, I wonder if most people are more interested in personal audio anyway. They want earbuds, not multi-room systems.