Re: Weird volume issues (PulseAudio?)

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 01:07:28 -0500
Christopher <ctubbsii@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 2, 2018 at 1:53 AM Christopher
> <ctubbsii@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > 1. In gdm, the volume indicator always indicates the output device
> > is Headphones, even when headphones aren't plugged in. gdm doesn't
> > make a lot of noise to debug before logging in, so I'm not sure if
> > it's trying to play through the wrong device, or if it's a UI
> > problem.
> >
> > 2. When I log in (I'm using Wayland), everything works fine for
> > about 10 seconds. After that, the volume is automatically muted and
> > I have to manually unmute it again (even if I've previously muted
> > and unmuted it before it reaches 10 seconds).
> >
> > I've tried every knob I can find in the gnome settings, pavucontrol,
> > and even reset the entire ~/.config/pulse directory and rebooted.
> > Nothing works.
> >
> > I have no idea what's going on. Can anybody suggest a fix or help me
> > identify the problem?
>
> I guess nobody else has seen these problems. :)

This sounds like a bug, but could be a misconfiguration.

As you say, I don't have the problem.  If you switch to a console
(Ctrl-Alt-[F2-F6]), and use the simple program aplay from alsa to play
a .wav file, does it play?  You can switch back to the gui, usually,
with Ctrl-Alt-F1.

If you run journalctl -r after a start and then mute, are there error
messages related to sound?

What does aplay -lv show for sound devices?  Are you using the correct
device as the default?

What does alsamixer -c 0 show for settings in alsa?  This is the first
sound device, if the default is another device use that number
instead.  The leftmost bar should be turned on and set at the border of
the red.

If you open audacity, what does it show for sound device options?  What
is its default sound device?  If you import an audio file into
audacity, does it play?

If you try to play an audio file with audacious, does it play?  Are
there error messages?

Finally, you sound like you are familiar with pavucontrol, have you set
the correct device as the default sound device?

Don't know if these will help, just some things to try that will give
you more information.