Re: How do I : one static DNS , one from DHCP ?

Allegedly, on or about 8 December 2018, sean darcy sent:
> I'm running a DNS server (unbound) on a VOIP server. It's crucial
> that I can always resolve addresses, even if it's slower. Now DNS1 is
> set to 127.0.0.1, peerdns no. Giving:

What makes you think it'll be slower?

I run a local DNS server, and it resolves my LAN addresses as well as
internet addresses.  It does that by going out to the root servers,
like a normal DNS server does, completely ignoring my ISP's DNS
servers.  It does a good job, better than using my ISP's.

Sure, your own DNS server won't have a pre-cached result for things
that you request.  But your ISP mayn't have them, too.  They'll only
cache things already requested by you or other customers.  And only the
addresses that external hosts allow to be cached (so many things are
deliberately uncacheable, these days).  The time delay of you getting
them is minuscule (especially compared with the much longer time other
things, like browsers and mail clients, actually take to make
connections and interact with the WWW).  Quite often an ISP's DNS
servers are overloaded and slow (my ISPs have always been slower than
my own DNS servers).

About the only downside I see to ignoring ISP DNS servers, is when you
have to resolve the ISP's own addresses.  It *can* be that they offer
their clients different addresses for the same things that the outside
world can connect to.  e.g. If your ISP was example.com, then using
their mailserver at mail.example.com *might* have a different IP within
their network than outside of it.  Though I've not experienced this.

You can put ISP DNS server addresses into your DNS server
configuration, for it to forward unknown requests to.  But if your
ISP's DNS server addresses change, you have to update them.

I have experienced two really annoying problems with ISP's DNS servers:

Firstly, there's been failing ones that are overloaded, badly
configured, compromised, whatever.

Secondly there's been interfering ones, that either censor the
internet, or intercept attempts to connect to wrong addresses with
unhelpful "perhaps you wanted this" correction, or even advertising
pages (instead of giving the proper "address doesn't exist" error
warning).

I'd run a local DNS server, ignore the ISPs, and have it resolve LAN
and all WWW addresses for you.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.16.11-100.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue May 22 20:02:12 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

It seems the modern trend with Linux programmers is to change existing software
so that it's more annoying to use (e.g. making reboots required, when they
never used to be), then denying that *that* is a nuisance, then saying it's
necessary (ignoring that several years of prior versions didn't have that
stupid requirement), then complaining about being criticised for making things
worse.  Don't try giving me an Emperor's New Clothes routine, it won't wash.