Re: Evince has no print option -

On 12/4/18 1:54 PM, stan wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 15:28:13 -0500
> Fred Smith <fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> there seems to be a widespread desire to make UIs so minimal that
>> no one can figure out how to use them. Not to single out anyone, but
>> the Gnome-3 people seem to be on that bandwagon too. No offense meant
>> to any particular person(s), its just that I don't see the value in
>> oversimplification.
>
> I think it is because of mobiles.  The developers try to fit things on
> the small real estate, and so make things deeper.  It's the problem
> with having the same interface for desktops, laptops, and mobiles.
> They are trying to build a single interface that can be used on all
> platforms versus having an interface optimized for each platform, for
> people who switch between platforms often. I presume they think the
> learning curve for multiple platform interfaces is more costly than the
> diminished user interface on larger screens.

I think attempted standardization is a factor. I also think a lot of it
is laziness in supporting multiple displays. The problem I see is at
this point the symbols are getting far too abstract for many people and
there seems to be no steering group that accepts comments or complaints.
After all, an icon's purpose is to obviate textual explanations. Obscure
icons defeat that intent. Perhaps it's just better to harass the
developers. The problem is they've gotten very good at ignoring user
comments.

I remember the old, symbolic UK "Road Work" signs. Some (such as myself)
saw them as stick figures with shovels. Some saw them as stick figures
fighting with cranky umbrellas (those in the UK know what I mean). From
context, it was always clear that they were shovels. I mean, why on
Earth would you need a sign next to the M5 to warn people about bad
umbrellas anyway? But I'm an engineer, so I suppose I don't think like
most people. :-p

While I'm not a fan of bureaucracy in any form, it might be time for
ANSI or ISC to create a committee to address UI issues such as this.