Re: F29 support for Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST)

On 11/30/18 4:26 PM, dsavage--- via users wrote:

>>> Thanks Rick. Ultimately I plan to run this pre-installed Win10 in a VM
>>> under F29. The trick is to get a forensic copy of the existing
>>> pre-installed OS that I can read back into a VM using P2V. I'm not
>>> planning to dual boot. Note that this is a laptop (on steroids!), so
>>> using
>>> a "real" RAID controller is not feasible.
>>
>> Oh, hmmm. Yeah. See? There's still a place for desktop machines for
>> doing weird stuff like this.
>>
>> You should be able to use the Windows Security panel. There's a
>> mechanism to do a disk image of the Windows 10 install. Here's a link:
>>
>> 	https://www.windowscentral.com/how-make-full-backup-windows-10
>>
>> If that won't do what you want, I'd still use it to make a backup
>> in case of disaster (DVDs are cheap, a spare hard drive in a USB
>> box isn't that much, either).
>>
>> The next step would be booting a live image of Fedora (whatever desktop
>> you want) and use the command line to import the RST metadata into mdadm
>> and create the RAID for Linux. You could then "dd" that new volume to
>> media somewhere. Like I said, you need to be careful so you don't break
>> the RST RAID, but it can be done. If you do break the RAID, you'd have
>> the backup from the windowscentral.com website instructions to recreate
>> it.
>>
>> Oh, the wonders of technology!
>
> And there's the problem, Rick. When I boot with the F29 MATE-Compiz live
> spin, it can't see the RAID1 array. There's nothing but the 'control'
> entry in /dev/mapper directory. There's no SSD (/dev/sda or /dev/sdb)
> visible to fdisk. And the only devices available in /dev/disks/by-* are
> those of the live image. I'm looking for any doorknob in the dark.

Yes, Doc, I get it. Having never done this myself, I can only suggest
things. I believe you'll need to run "mdadm --auto-detect -v" to see if
it can find the RST RAID metadata. If it finds the RST data, it should
create a container device that represents the RST array. You should then
be able to create a device from that container (and I'd suggest a read-
only device) using "mdadm -A" would represent the RST array.

Again, I've never done this with an Intel RST array and I'm not sure
any of my machines lying about have this "feature" enabled so I can't
do any investigation myself. mdadm says it can deal with it and a google
search reveals some results with Mint and Scientific Linux.