Re: e-mail security. [SOLVED]

Allegedly, on or about 1 December 2018, home user via users sent:
> Samuel: I understand what you said about anti-virus software.  I was
> incorrect about wanting it for Thunderbird.  In this case, it would
> be for the browser.  I think you're mostly correct, but I still wish
> for something to protect against some things such as coin mining and
> spyware.  I also do not like that web site owners know when I'm using
> ad blockers.

Anti-virus, etc., can be useful to stop things automatically getting
through.  But when you click on things, issue commands, etc., they're
usually ineffective at protecting you.  You have more authority than
them, so to speak.

If you can look at something, and decide not to run it, allow it,
follow it, etc., you're protecting yourself better than most anti-
malware programs.

A safety catch is no good if you're just going to flick it and pull the
trigger.

> Cameron: Great tips in most cases.  This was one of those odd
> exceptions.  Strange that the Colorado consumer protection office
> would go through Barracuda rather than simply sending the message
> directly to me.

Sounds odd.  Or is it third-party?  (The people you complained *about*
responding.)

I hate it when a company that you've communicated with uses some other
service provider with their messages, whether that be so they can track
reception of messages, outsource a survey, or whatever.  You're never
quite sure if it's legit, and your contact details just got passed on
to someone else without your prior approval.

> I've even received phone calls from myself, and I surely didn't call
> myself!

I've had that.  I picked up the phone, to hear someone playing a
recording of me saying hello.  Never figured out what was going on with
that one.

As far as I'm concerned, official emails should come from the exact
same domain name as their website.

e.g. If the website is www.example.com then the mail should be from a
username@xxxxxxxxxxx.

If one or the other is seemingly related but still different, like
examplesomething.com, they're completely different domains.  And
although they could be owned by the same people, it's almost impossible
to really tell (someone could set up a faked domain using faked
credentials the same as the other domain).

Any company that does that malarkey, is doing themselves a disservice.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.16.11-100.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue May 22 20:02:12 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

Hooray!  I finally finished typing this email.