Re: F29 fails on new ThinkPad P72

> My take is this ... RST / RAID is where windows is installed, if you
> change it before you snapshot or dd the image youll loose the install
> by breaking the raid
> you have to make a snap before you can change to AHCI and break up the
> raid , and i do believe there is a driver in linux for RST also which
> might need a custom kernel / compile
>
> if it was me... id have already nuked the windows and broken the raid
> array as you have multiple drives, same as in my current clevo... i
> have installed windows on one drive, fedora on another, FreeBSD
> on the third, though i never really use windows...... i then made a
> image of the 256Gb drive and  tossed it on an external if i even need
> it. the issue you face is how to save the OEM install i guess before
> you can crush the raid array.
>
> on the other hand, it might be possible to build an iso with the
> proper drivers for RST from say Arch or other distro and resize the
> windows and install something next to it on the raid in dual boot,
> though not ideal in my opinion google linux intel RST driver

Jim,

I agree. We both have the same idea for an end state with Fedora 29 as the
host OS with multiple virtual machines including the original Windows 10.
Right now I'm stuck with no pathway to access and back up the
pre-installed Windows 10 with its Lenovo support apps in a way that can be
read back in from a F29 installation. Indeed, at this point I do not know
if *any* F29 DVD can install with this Intel RST (maybe set to AHCI mode)
and nVidia Quattro 5200 video system. I strongly suspect the only real
answers to these questions must come from the Fedora support engineers.

One thing I know for sure is that I need a different cross-platform
solution to back up the pre-installed Windows 10 Professional. Clonezilla
can't see the RAID1 array to back it up, and I'm not about to change the
mode setting from RST to AHCI, or break the RAID array in the BIOS to
expose /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. To do either jeopardizes the pre-installed
OS image. The long term supportability from Lenovo depends on those
additional apps. And no, Lenovo does not offer installation media.

So I'm open to suggestions to solve these on-path problems. First and
foremost, it seems to me, I need to identify a cross-platform solution
equivalent to Clonezilla that can see the Intel RST RAID1 structure.

--Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage
Fairview Heights, IL

"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
          -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov