Re: Optical track ball with wheel

On 11/16/18 2:49 PM, Robin Laing wrote:
> On 15/11/2018 20:33, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 11/16/18 11:24 AM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>> This is michigan non-fault auto insurance item, so I am not paying for it...
>>
>> Oh, OK.
>>
>> I use Kensington Expert Wireless Trackball Mouse (K72359WW)
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/ycsu6gwv
>>
>> for example.
>>
>> It is big and heavy enough that the cats don't knock it to the floor.  Also, comes in
>> wired.  But in my home the less cords the better.  :-)
>>

> I have used the wired version of this track ball for over a decade.  I have 4 of them,
> including at work.  My daughter has one at university.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009KH63/ref=twister_B019DMH6DO?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
>
> I have worn out the micro-switches over the years and replaced them. Only critical issue
> I have had is with losing the little jewels that are the bearings within the mouse.
> These are replaceable but not from Kensington.  I found a place online that sells little
> sapphire balls as replacements.  The pad is replaceable from Kensington.
>
> My son has broken one during some high intensity gaming, it was repaired with some
> superglue.  He hit it hard enough to break some of the plastic.
>
> You have to clean the lint and other crud from the ruby jewels every once in a while but
> that is not hard to do.  Be careful so you do not lose any of the jewels.

I was really surprised how much cat fur and other stuff can collect in the ball well
without impacting performance.

> I have not used the wireless as I don't like batteries or running out of charge at the
> wrong time.

I have lots of rechargeable batteries at the ready.  The newer generation holds 80% of the
charge for a year. So, I'm never concerned.  :-)

> I have never had an issue with Linux and this trackball.
>
> Nice big ball.  5cm diameter.  No strain on the thumb when trying to do some work.  Can
> use the palm of your hand to control the pointer. Finger or thumb to use the scroll
> wheel.  You can program the buttons but I find the defaults are what I have grown used too.
>
> I have used my trackball with severe tendinitis and no issues.  My son has used his with
> a broken finger for gaming.  With proper adjustment of chair, table/keyboard tray, there
> is no need to move your shoulder while using it.

Yep, I love mine.  Sorry I only started using one within the past year or so.

--
Fedora Users - The place to go to beat OT dead horses :-) :-)