Re: [fedora-arm] Re: no hdmi audio on older tv

Allegedly, on or about 15 November 2018, Doug sent:
> I realize that this is off-topic, but it sounds like you are an
> expert on modern TV equipment, so I have this question:

I work in video production, and I occasionally service such equipment.

> I have a Samsung 24" HDTV (1920 x 1080) purchased around last May.
> It has no electrical audio output, and of course, the built-in
> speaker sound is terrible. The only audio output is via IR.

Expensive TVs, crap sound, so you buy yet another hideously expensive
sound system.  I really hate that.  In the past, even modest priced TVs
had decent sound and pictures.  And then you have the question of how
do you get audio out of them?  HDMI, converter boxes, the headphone
socket (ugh)?

What do you mean by IR, though?  The optical digital output using a
TOSlink cable?  (Which isn't infra-red, by the way, it's a visible
red.)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

> I have purchased three DAC units to feed a small audio amplifier and
> a couple of bookshelf-type speakers.  On voice peaks, sometimes there
> is a brief dropout of the audio. This happens with any of the DACs.I
> do not believe that this is caused by the amplifier, since I used the
> same amp on a previous TV that had a real electrical
> audio output.

I'd either suspect the DACs or the TV creating the signal going to them
(optical outputs are likely to be from a processed audio signal, not
just piping the original data stream through).  Do you have another
device with an similar digital output, such as CD or DVD player, that
you can test against?

Or do you mean very loud audio (as in you're running the speakers hard,
not that the audio signal went loud but while you were listening at a
quiet level).  In that case, you may be running into thermal limiters
in your amplifiers or speakers.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.16.11-100.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue May 22 20:02:12 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

This email brought to you by potato omelates