Re: Network Manager not Retaining Wifi Password

On 13/11/18 8:13 am, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 11/13/18 4:56 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
On 7/11/18 8:26 am, Stephen Morris wrote:
On 1/10/18 7:35 am, Stephen Morris wrote:
On 29/9/18 1:25 am, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 9/28/18 11:49 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
I switched my wife definition in networkmanager back to "Store password for this
user only (encrypted)" and that put a uuid entry into the maps area, while I was
watching, that matched the uuid in the ifcfg file with my wifi password. Having
rebooted the issue has now been resolved.
Good to know that the issue has been resolved.  I really hope it wasn't due to
switching your "wife definition".  :-)
I don't think it was switching the wifi definition. The encrypted definition is what I
have always used, but it stopped working when I changed the wifi router and adapter
and the kernel wouldn't load the adapter driver because of the compile options I used.
Thankyou for all your help.

regards,

Steve
Having just revisited this issue after rectifying the issue with my wifi definition, it
has resurfaced again with my two vpn definitions. The two vpn definitions don't have
the password recorded even though I have specified it in the past. If I bring up
knetworkmanager5 and look in there the password is there, and if I transfer it into the
vpn definition in networkmanager and 'apply' it, select 'ok' to exit the edit process,
and then re-edit the definition, the password is not there (this is the same issue I
originally had with the wifi definition), and then when I connect to the definition I
am prompted for the vpn password (I don't get prompted for the kwallet password as I
have pam-kwallet installed).

Do I need to change the definition from 'save password encrypted' to 'save not
encrypted' to get the appropriate file created with the password, and then change it
back to 'save password encrypted' to get the password retained (as worked with the wifi
password issue)? If so, why is networkmanager now working like this?
This is indeed what I had to do to get networkmanager to retain the passwords. I had to
change the password setting to all users to build a config file with the password in
plain text, then switch it back to the current user mode to get it encrypted again and
the password saved in the definition, is this a bug in Networkmanager functionality?

Well, I've not had any of the issues you're seeing.  So, if there is a problem with NM it
must be due to something triggering it on your system.

It's possible it is environmental, but if it is how do I identify what is causing it given that this was not always the functionality with nm on my system, and from my perspective it surfaced on a cold boot after putting on system maintenance.

regards,

Steve