Re: VPN Interface not Remaining Active With Firewall?

On 7/11/18 10:17 am, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 11/7/18 5:43 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
     When I start one of the two vpn definitions, that have been in networkmanager for
years and used to work fine (I haven't used them in quite a while), it starts and I get
a pop-up message saying that interface tun0 has been activated in the firewall default
zone (being fedoraworkstation). This interface remains active for about a minute or so
until I get the pop-up message that interface tun0 has been deactivated in the firewall
default zone, and the vpn is no longer connected. The vpn connection is using Openvpn.

     I have checked dmesg for any message relative to tun0 or firewall and there are no
messages for either. How do I determine why the vpn won't stay active?
Messages about Network status are in the journal.  Use journalctl to investigate.  I'd use
the -b 0 parameter to limit the output to the current boot.

Thanks Ed, I issued that command and fed the output into grep to search for tun0, and found messages saying that the device was successfully activated, and then about 30 seconds later a message saying the connection timed out, and then almost a further 30 seconds for the connection to actually shutdown. I'll have to contact the vendor to see if the 10 year renewal period on my lifetime membership has been reached.

Just one question on the journalctl output, when I issued journalctl -b 0, the messages displayed had the correct day timestamp but the time displayed in GMT time (with today being Nov 08 and the machine being booted at 07:16, the messages displayed by journalctl were timestamped Nov 08 18:16, if this time really is GMT time it should have been Nov 07 18:16), but when I issued the command journalctl -b 0 | grep -i tun0 the messages displayed were correctly timestamped with the current date and local time. Is there really two different time formats in use or is there something else at play, like at initial boot time the system is running on GMT time and then at a later point in the boot process or when KDE starts the system is running in local time? If it is the case the next question then becomes why is the day wrong in the GMT representation.

regards,

Steve