Re: OT: IBM to buy RedHat

On 10/30/18 3:34 AM, Fred Smith wrote:
On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 09:57:19AM +0000, Frau Silvia Sánchez wrote:
    Hi Fred and all,
    Well, I understand although disagree.  If one doesn't want upgrades,
    there are other systems like Debian stable.  Besides upgrades aren't
    mandatory, as ToddandMargo said, if you don't want them simply turn
    them off.  Last but not least, why do you need to reinstall?  Upgrading
    from one version to another is as smooth as it can be.  I don't see
    reinstalling as a pain, in any average computer will take only few
    minutes, but well, it's understandable that you may not want to go
    through it.  But what reinstalling for?  Why not just upgrading the
    system?  Am I missing something?
    Kind regards,
    Silvia

Updates are necessary if you want to keep it secure. Many distros
are new annually or more often, and only keep issuing patches for
the most recent or two most recent releases.once  you go past that
point you're asking for trouble.

Not wanting to do a full upgrade annually doesn't mean I want an
insecure system.

Basically, not all the insecure.  If you look at the Windows world,
the breaking rates of unsupported XP versus supported W7 shows
that XP is more secure.  So a lot of it depends on what you are doing
with your system.  An older version of Firefox may not have the
vulnerability that a new one does or even the capability of executing
the vulnerability.

The breaking rates for Fedora are very, very close to zero.  Plus
by using Linux, you are doing security by obscurity.  Linux
has very little market share, so the bad guys don't waste
the time.  Plus M$ makes the garbage easy to break into.
Fedora is the opposite.

Again, looking at the Windows world, Windows 10 have "releases".
1803 is the current one.  When M$ upgrades to the next release,
it is a full reinstall of the system.  And if causes HAVOC
on the customers.  I get requested frequently to just turn
the stinking things off.  M$ upgrades have caused far more
damage than any viruses ever did in a lot of cases.

Me personally, on my Windows VM's updates are turned off.
They have to work when I need them and I hardly ever use
them on the internet.  Plus, anyone trying to reverse into
them have to rub the gauntlet of iptables.  And they
are usually off anyway

And Fedora, on the other hand, has make upgrades really simple.
And they are very professional about how they do it.  The opposite
of M$.

I always love to see what is new in Fedora.  I cringe at whenever M$
does a new release (one is supposedly coming up soon).