Re: Networkmanager Wait Online Failing at Boot Time

On 25/10/18 8:54 am, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 10/25/18 5:25 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
I tried the x-systemd.automount parameter by adding it to the fstab entry and then
trying 'ls /mnt/nfs' which doesn't automount the partition. Either the change requires a
reboot to take effect (I've left it present to see what happens after next boot, but the
same thing also doesn't work on the cifs mount point either) or it is an nfs4 specific
option, in which case it won't work for me as my nas doesn't support nfs4 probably for
the same reasons as it only supports cifs version 1. Just for interest below is my fstab
specifications for the partition. The unfortunate thing with the cifs mount point is
cifs doesn't support user mounting.

192.168.0.12:/mnt/HD/HD_a2                /mnt/nfs nfs
users,noatime,nolock,bg,sec=sys,tcp,timeo=1800,_netdev,rw,x-systemd.automount 0 0
//192.168.0.12/Volume_1                   /mnt/nas cifs
vers=1.0,username=********,password=********,cache=strict,_netdev,rw,x-systemd.requires=/mnt/nfs
0 0
I do not know the purpose of some of the options you've specified in your fstab.  It may
be that one of them is in conflict
with x-systemd.automount.  I suspect the _netdev is responsible for the conflict.

Quite some time ago I had issues with the mounts of the network drive failing at boot time because they were timing out, which adding _netdev, as suggested by a person on this list who responded to my thread, rectified.

I've added the x-systemd.requires parameter to the cifs mount statement as some time ago I had issues with the two mount processes interfering with each other at boot time because systemd was running the two processes in parallel and the nas device couldn't handle it (The systemd parameter here was suggested by someone on this list as well). I'm probably not surprised at the device not being able to handle the two mount processes on the same physical partition on the device.

See, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NFS were it is pointed out....

"Another method is using the systemd automount service. This is a better option than
_netdev, because it remounts the network device quickly when the connection is broken and
restored. As well, it solves the problem from autofs, see the example below:"

That option isn't "nfs4" specific as it has more to do with systemd than the type of mount.

I thought it might have been an nfs4 specific command because when I added it to the mount lines in fstab it did nothing. It turns out you have to reboot afterwards for it to take effect.

My main concern with this is not the mounts failing at boot, I can understand why they failed, but more why the networkmanager wait online process is failing. I tried a boot with the ethernet cable disconnected from the pc, but that made no difference.

Could vpn definitions be impacting the process? I have a number of vpn definitions, which are not getting started as I require, but all of them have the option 'Automatically connect to this network when it is available' ticked, and both networmanager and 'kde settings->network->connections' do not let me switch it off.

regards,

Steve

If you google these terms

x-systemd.automount nfs