Re: Troubleshooting video on Fedora 28

On 10/19/18 10:13 AM, Max Pyziur wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2018, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> On 10/19/18 9:04 AM, Max Pyziur wrote:
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> I'm troubleshooting the video output on my F28 desktop. It's a prosaic
>>> system (Shuttle shoebox type of computer), basic video, not a gamer.
>>
>> I've had several of those.
>>
>>> On today's bootup, I get no video output. Using an F28 Dell Laptop, I
>>> tested the cable (works), and tested the monitor (works).
>>>
>>> Plugged the desktop into a monitor, and the problem remains the same -
>>> no video output.
>>>
>>> So, my conclusion is that short of a video port failure, it could be the
>>> video driver.
>>
>> Uhm, on boot, do you get the BIOS screen? I had a similar issue with one
>> of mine. It had both HDMI and DVI outputs. The HDMI didn't work but the
>> DVI did (had to power off, change cables, then power back on so the
>> system would select the alternate video). I survived on DVI until I
>> could install a second video card, then I made it the primary display.
>> Not sure if that'll work for you.
>
> Actually, no BIOS screen shows up.
>
> I've tried both HDMI and DVI jacks, but there is no output.
>
>>> I can ssh into the desktop and use it that way.
>>
>> Yeah, that's one solution, albeit not optimal.
>>
>>> I would be grateful any advice on how to proceed to restore video
>>> output.
>>
>> Again, if there's multiple video outputs, try all the ports (if your
>> monitor has that ability and power cycle the machine each time you try
>> a different combo). If none of them work, then the odds are that the
>> video went bad and you might be able to just stick in a video card.
>> Most BIOSes will select a card in a PCI slot as primary automatically if
>> it sees it at power up. No guarantee, though. You may have a new mobo in
>> your future.
>
> Theres is the following recommendation located here:
> https://faq.shuttle.eu/faq:hardware:general_troubleshooting#my_shuttle_xpc_no_longer_boots_up_or_there_is_no_picture_displayed_on_the_monitor_is_the_mainboard_defective
>

> Should I reset the CMOS or just get a simple video board?

Well, resetting the CMOS is "free" and doesn't require a trip to the
store, so give that a whirl first.

If it doesn't work, try getting a cheap video card and try that. I
wouldn't go crazy on the video...some nVidia-based cards are cheap at
$50USD or so and would probably be as good as the one built-in to the
mobo.

> Much thanks for your quick reply,

No worries. Good luck!