Re: Fedora 28 "crash"

On 9/16/18 2:57 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> .
>
> Thursday evening we had a power failure and I shutdown all the computers to get the
> load off my UPS's. I have booted the Fedora 28 computer this morning and a what was
> a non-problem has blossomed into a real one. The other three all booted normally
> when I started things after the power came back on, however I did not try the F28
> until this morning.
>
> Since the F28 install a window has always come after the xfce desktop opens:
>
> "Oops, We're sorry, it looks like boot_image-/ vmlinuz-4.17.18.200.fc28.x86_64
> crashed. Please contact the developer ..."

I get that sort of message occasional.  Running KDE Desktop on F28.  Pretty much
harmless.

> I ignored it until now since it seemed to be meaningless, the system connected to
> the LAN and the internet and went happily on its way. Not so today, the cursor
> arrow sits in the error message box and can't be moved and the Only thing that
> works is ctrl-alt-F1 which brings back the user boot screen asking for a password,
> normally bobg, but I tried alternate as well as root, which brings up Gnome, also
> frozen in some strange fashion, I never use that so did not investigate much there,
> a presentation hard for me t read. Along with the Oops window is another that ells
> me I am connected to enp2so or whatever.
>
> Tried the two alternative kernels, no difference.

Which kernels did you try?   Both kernel-4.18.5 and kernel-4.18.7 affect certain
mice.  The cursor won't move, but the buttons work.

> I can ssh from this computer which allows me to reboot it conveniently
>
> [bobg@Box10 ~]$ ssh -X bobg@192.168.1.83
> bobg@192.168.1.83's password:
> Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
> Last login: Sat Sep 15 13:51:55 2018
>
> [bobg@box83 ~]$ su
> Password:
> [root@box83 bobg]# reboot
>
> I tried "startxfce4" via ssh from this computer after a fresh start, the xfce
> splash screen comes up but that crashes with a lot of errors and I'm not even
> certain that approach should work.

You are booting your system into a non-GUI environment and then trying to start
xfce.  Well, that works (after generating tons of messages) with KDE.  But don't know
how well that would work with xfce.

--
Cardinal Rule of Presentations: "Tell them what you are going to tell them, tell
them, then tell them what you told them."