Re: OT: fastest way to copy one drive to another

On 11Sep2018 15:11, Ranjan Maitra <maitra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I wanted to mention that as I mentioned earlier, I used ddrescue and was able to copy the drive. However, the old (source) drive was found to have a few blocks that were bad. From what I understand from reading online, one can find these files. However, my filesystems for these two drives are xfs but most of the documentation is for other kinds of filesystems. How do I do this for xfs filesystems?

There is also xfs_repair: will this utility find the affected files?

Short answer: I don't actually know. It may be more useful to run it against the bad drive because if those blocks are file data blocks then on the bad drive it _may_ register them as bad and report; on the new drive they may just look like blocks of zero bytes because ddrescue will have filled them in.

However, you _also_ need to run it against the new drive, because if the bad blocks were filesystem structure black (as opposed to file data blocks) then your filesystem will be corrupt anyway.

This is one of the advantages of a file based copy instead of and image based copy such as dd: if there are bad blocks within a file a file based copy will report the bad file (because it couldn't read it, and it knows the name of the file it is trying to copy). Also, the new drive will have a clean filesystem. An image based copy will copy damaged data structures (or copy bad data blocks as zeroed blocks).

By bad data structure I'm considering damage done to the filesystem metadata by the drive failures. If these "rescued" blocks lie within the filesystem structure data then your new filesystem will have damage: you _need_ to run xfs_repair over it anyway.

With a file based copy you start with a _correct_ empty filesystem on the target and add correct data to it.

XFS is stable against reboots and crashes on the whole, by maintaining its data structures in a cohenrent fashion, and which is why its fsck command is a compatability shell script which does some option parsing and then does nothing because the "mount" journal replay does any repair.

However, "out of band" damage caused by a failing drive cannot be implicitly repaired because the filesystem doesn't know about it. You need xfs_repair for that.

The xfs_repair manual page ("man xfs_repair") is extensive and informative. Had a read.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx>