Re: tmux and powerline, unwanted info and error messages

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 3:24 PM, Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 27Aug2018 15:00, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 2:23 PM, Ed Greshko <ed.greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 08/28/18 01:54, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> I think it's fixed now. And also have an updated screenshot with more
>> spew...
>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sWXUoaJcWJrIEjHLwEX9r1l3VMgGvWZj
>

> Ok. This isn't a full diagnosis but an observation.
>
> That stepped output, when end of line just moves the cursor down one row
> without returning to the start of the next one? That is a standard symptom
> of a process _outside_ your tmux session producing output.
>
> What's happening?
>
> UNIX programmes end lines with newline (NL, ASCII code 10) characters. The
> normal "cooked" terminal mode converts these into a CR (carriage return,
> moving the cursor to the left edge) and a NL (moving the cursor down).
>
> When you run a full screen programme like tmux or screen or vi, that mode
> gets turned off and the programme itself is responsible for managing the
> display.  That allows it proper control. Tmux itself manages a
> pseudoterminal and the terminal mode on _that_ inner terminal does the
> NL->CR,NL translation, so all the inner programmes emit normal looking
> output.
>
> _However_, programmes running _outside_ your tmux session are not having
> this done because the outer terminal is not in that mode. Therefore the
> stepped output is from a programme outside your tmux session.
>
> What have you got which (a) connects to plus.google.com and/or (b) runs a
> GUI (see the MESA-LOADER and libGL messages, an X11 3D rendering library). I
> suspect a web browser started from the terminal outside the tmux session. Or
> a messaging programme (and "SID" might be a "session id").

This is running on Fedora Server, it's GUI free. And there's nothing
in the journal about any of these messages I'm seeing only once
installing powerline and tmux integration.

The only thing really running? There's samba serving some shares. And
I have a docker container of battery historian running, but that
shouldn't be leaking out of the container? This container I think is
running apache to serve up a web page I connect to from Workstation,
feed it an android bug report and it eats that and displays some
charts and stuff.

I have nothing using plus.google.com or any google.com service on this Server.

--
Chris Murphy