RE: Split tunnelling

See comment below.

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick O'Callaghan [mailto:pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: dinsdag 21 augustus 2018 11:49
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Split tunnelling

On Mon, 2018-08-20 at 09:46 -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 08/20/2018 05:03 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > Has anyone got this to work in Fedora? To be clear, split tunnelling is
> > when network traffic to some destinations (or for some apps) is
> > tunnelled over a VPN, while the rest of the traffic goes through normal
> > channels. I've tried messing with network namespaces, which would seem
> > to be the way to go, but not managed to get everything lined up so far.
> > All the howto's I've seen are for various flavours of Ubuntu.
>
> I don't know about apps, namespaces might work for that but I haven't
> had any reason to try that yet.
>
> However, my openvpn connection only routes the private network subnets,
> everything else goes over the regular network connection.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "private network subnets".
You mean it does this automatically, or you configured it that way?

> The only
> tricky part, which I haven't tried to solve, is that you can't resolve
> private DNS entries from the VPN connection.  This would likely be a
> problem with a work VPN, unless you let the work DNS resolve everything.

Indeed, that could be an issue.

Poc

" To be clear, split tunnelling is
> > when network traffic to some destinations (or for some apps) is
> > tunnelled over a VPN, while the rest of the traffic goes through normal
> > channels."
No, not exactly.
That is more an example of the use of multiple routes.
Destination-A goes through gateway-A
Destination-B goes through gateway-B
All-else goes through default-gateway...
Either GW-A or GW-B could be VPN.

Split-tunneling is more that transmit and receive use different tunnels,
Or traffic to SAME destination is load-balanced over multiple, parallel tunnels.

"> tricky part, which I haven't tried to solve, is that you can't resolve
> private DNS entries from the VPN connection."
VPN-server processes can push routing info, and DNS-server addresses.
AFAICR systems accept three DNS-resolvers.
This can be tricky. If the VPN-process pushes three resolvers, the old ones will be gone (while the tunnel exists),
Thus you are unable to resolve NON-vpn-URL's.

Situation can get even more complicated, when using split-horizon DNS.
Same URL with internally, and externally different IP-addresses.