Re: Home Routers (Totally OT)

Allegedly, on or about 17 August 2018, Jonathan Ryshpan sent:
> What is the device android-a81a750feb8c4486?  There are only two
> devices connected to the router by wires.  Very odd.

A phone or tablet.  Or is your weather doodah android based?

> The router has a DNS server in it.  The server doesn't know anything
> about any of these devices, so I will have to set up /etc/hosts in
> all of the computers in the local net manually.  Trendnet customer
> support has informed me that this is not a bug but a feature.

More like a *lack* of feature...

A lot of routers only have a DHCP server, and they don't bother to
resolve names to the addresses they've doled out.  For most users, this
mayn't be a problem, as they're not doing peer-to-peer anything between
them.  And if they're using Windows networking, it'll do its own name
resolution tricks (SMB).

My router does resolve its own DHCP-assigned IPs, giving them a
".gateway" top level domain name.  Though I don't use it, as it's not
configurable enough for my needs.

I have DNS and DHCP servers running on my server (that talk to each
other), and I switch off the DHCP server on my router.

> There are issues with the way the router's DHCP sets up the attached
> computers so that searches aren't referred to higher level servers in
> my local net.  More devices have to be entered into /etc/hosts by
> hand.

If you only have about 4 devices on a LAN, hosts files aren't too much
of a problem.  But manual host file writing becomes tedious as you add
more devices, and a problem for devices where you can't do that kind of
thing.

You've got daisy-chained routers.  If they're doing NAT, they're
independent subnets, and there could be firewalling involved, too.
Some wireless routers will let you use them in a bridge mode, so they
act more like a network switch than a router, with everything on the
same subnet.

I had a wireless router which could easily be used in either way.  If
you wanted your wireless devices (somewhat) isolated, you'd connect it
to the rest of your LAN through the WAN port.  And if you wanted the
entire LAN all on the same side, then you'd connect your main router up
to one of the LAN ports on the wireless router.

Isolated subnet:

192.168.1.x
MAIN ROUTER
|  |  |  |
PC PC PC |

         WAN
         WIFI ROUTER       (wireless to 192.168.2.x WiFi devices)
         LAN LAN LAN LAN
         |   |   |   |
         PC  PC  PC  PC    (to 192.168.2.x ethernet devices)

Common subnet:

192.168.1.x
MAIN ROUTER
|  |  |  |
PC PC PC |

         |   WAN
         |   WIFI ROUTER       (wireless to 192.168.1.x WiFi devices)
         |   LAN LAN LAN LAN
          \--/   PC  PC  PC    (to 192.168.1.x ethernet devices)

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.16.11-100.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue May 22 20:02:12 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

Hooray!  I finally finished typing this email.