Re: Which is better? Microsoft Exchange 2016 or Linux-based SMTP Servers?

On Wed, 2018-07-18 at 15:15 +0000, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
wrote:
> Good evening from Singapore,
>
> I am torn between deploying Microsoft Exchange 2016 and Linux-based
> SMTP servers like sendmail, postfix, qmail and exim.
>
> Relative ease of installation and configuration is an important
> consideration factor.
>
> [snip]

For my size of shop (about 100 users), linux works fine.  I don't know
what the answer is for huge shops that have to have distibuted systems
-- I've heard that's a lot more complicated, but have never done it.

As far as ease goes, it's like everything else.  If you are used to it
and comfortable with something, then it's "easier" and the learning
curve for doing something else makes it harder.  I have been setting up
linux mail and web servers for years, and it's a piece of cake for me.
I set up an Exchange server last year, and I was ready to kill myself
after a few hours.  I have little doubt that someone who has years of
experience with Exchange servers and little experience with linux would
feel just the opposite.

It's like the old Windows/Linux conversation.  When people say "Linux
is hard" what they really mean is just "I'm used to Windows and Linux
isn't like Windows."  I used to maintain some Windows boxes back when
it was Windows 3.1, and up until the introduction of Windows 7, and
sort of kept up with it.  I sat down at a Windows 10 box the other day
and was all confused.  It was "hard" because it wasn't what I was used
to, and I didn't care to put in the effort to become competent again.

So, the real answer is that there's no such thing as a free lunch.
There are tools to ease the hassles of setting up a linux mail server,
but really, there are so many tutorials on it out there that doing it
by hand isn't all that hard -- if you just do it.  I'm sure the same
thing is true with Exchange.

The real question for me, if I had to do it all over again, is if my
company isn't freaking huge, why host it myself anyway?  I'd be tempted
to use one of the many large email services and let them worry about
security, etc.  And, you know... "Cloud" is the thing nowadays.  Why
not?

If the answer to "why not" is because you want hands on control, and
you want absolute control over logs and backups and security, then that
would point to linux.   You can get in there and fiddle with all the
knobs and turn all the nuts on all the bolts.

If it was me, I'd see what my users needs were.  If they are all die-
hard Outlook and Microsoft365 users, then I'd go with Exchange.  I've
never integrated linux mail servers with Outlook and Microsoft365, but
it just doesn't sound like fun.  If the users are not Outlook people,
then I'd cobble together a linux system  - because I prefer a stick
shift to an automatic transmission.

billo