Re: Which is better? Microsoft Exchange 2016 or Linux-based SMTP Servers?

On Wednesday 18 July 2018 16:15:15 Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> Good evening from Singapore,
>
> I am torn between deploying Microsoft Exchange 2016 and Linux-based
> SMTP servers like sendmail, postfix, qmail and exim.
>
> Relative ease of installation and configuration is an important
> consideration factor.

The first and probably main question is what is the experience and expertise
of the people who will maintain the system. If they are mainly a MS house,
then MS is probably the way to go.  Likewise for Linux.

> Microsoft Exchange 2016, Domain Controller, and Active Directory are
> relatively easy to install and configure.

MS products tend to have nice and friendly GUI front ends. However, they're
only nice and friendly if you agree with their design style.  I'm the Office
365 administrator for our company, and I often find that I can't find the
feature that I need because it's not where I expect it to be.  Admittedly,
this is probably because I don't use it often enough.

> Linux-based SMTP servers are
> extremely difficult to install and configure and of course, extremely
> time-consuming.

Linux servers are a bit of a faf to set up initially, especially as each
element is separate from the rest. PAM is usually set up out of the box, but
you have to configure EXIM, DOVECOT, CLAMAV, SPAMASSASSIN etc. one at a time.

However, this is only done once as an install. Then on a day-to-day basis,it's
just a case of updating user details, and you can use scripts for this.

> One of the features of Microsoft Exchange 2016 is that you can create
> additional folders on your Inbox in the server (server-side). Can
> Linux-based SMTP servers do that?

This can be done if you're using IMAP, which will probably be using the
DOVECOT service. It also depends on which email client you use.

> Does Exchange 2016 offer more user-friendly features or Linux-based
> SMTP servers?

Using Exchange limits the choice of email client compared to Linux. After
that, it's mainly down to the capabilities of the email client.

> Besides the above considerations, how about security? Traditionally,
> Linux is far more secure than Windows.

Both Windows and Linux are secure if set up correctly. Linux, probably more
so, but I'm no expert.  The key to having secure MS servers is to not allow
user near them.

> Judging by security, Linux-based SMTP servers ought to have a higher
> percentage of the market share?
>
> Finally, I can only use Windows Server 2016 Standard Evaluation Copy FREE
> for a period of 3 years MAXIMUM. But I can use Linux servers and Mail
> Transport Agents (MTA) FREE perpetually.

Yes, all of the stuff you would need for a Linux email server are free as in
beer.

If you do go down the Linux route, you could consider looking at systems /
packages / hosted servers designed as email servers out of the box. This
would reduce the amount of work requiired to get them working

--
Gary Stainburn
Group I.T. Manager