Re: Feature request: line break eliminater

On 06/27/2018 09:47 AM, Beartooth wrote:

> 	Firefox has a feature that (I hope) might well be universal.
>
> 	If I highlight a URL which my mailer (Alpine) breaks into several
> lines and then paste it in, Ffx takes care of the nonce line breaks,
> going right to the site. But if I copy that URL (sometimes, as with
> changing an xfinity password, many seeming lines long) into any other
> browser, *I* have to eliminate all the line breaks (and sometimes, not
> always, introduced extraneous characters such as % a/o angle brackets).
>
> 	Might not this virtue be grafted into Fedora's versions of other
> browsers, or into Fedora itself?

The apparent line breaks (or line wraps) are created by the way Firefox
is rendering the text (e.g. in a frame). There are no "inserted"
newlines in the text, it's just the way it's displayed so selecting the
text does not pick up any extra characters. In other applications,
newlines _may_ be inserted for display purposes, so selecting them and
doing a cut-and-paste will most likely pick up those inserted newlines.

As an example, create a text file using vi that has tab characters at
the beginning of the lines and save it. Reopen it in vi and select one
of the lines with a leading tab. In another window, create a new file in
vi and paste the cut text into it. You'll find that the start of the
line is not a single tab character, but eight spaces.

Close the first file and "cat" it. Select the SAME line from the "cat"
output and paste it into the second file and you'll find that THAT line
starts with a single tab character. See? It's the way the text is
rendered that affects how selection is done and this is what complicates
things. I'm not saying it's impossible, but pretty danged complex to try
to sort out what the _expected_ behavior is supposed to be.