Re: OT: Annoying List Behavior....

On 06/04/2018 08:22 AM, Todd Zullinger wrote:
Ed Greshko wrote:
OK, is anyone else seeing this and/or finding this annoying?

Getting list emails where I don't really know who is sending. The "From" shows as

None via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

So, it is showing up as "Fedora" in the From column of T-Bird.  The actual header in the email are showing as

From: None via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: olivares33561@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So, it seem that olivares33561 is the real poster.

The DMARC mitigations we put in place a few months ago are
the reason you see this.  This sender doesn't have any name
in their from field, so None is all we get.

Normally if someone sending from a domain with strict DMARC
rules configured their From field as 'Name <me@xxxxxxxxxxx>'
the list DMARC mitigation would take the 'Name' part, add
'via users' and send it from the list address.

Thunderbird showing you 'Fedora' is due to the mail client
reversing the name from your local address book.  I have no
idea if you can tell Thunderbird not to do that or not.

I don't think there's much we can do about it on the list

This looks like a good time to ask about this. I have two addresses that I use on this list: one to send mail, mail to that address is dropped; one to receive mail, never used to send to the list. IOW, whatever mail I send to this list I receive as a different user.

Some time ago my posts to fedora users started showing up in MY thunderbird not as the sender but as some fedora address with an arrow to its left. If it's only me with this issue that is not a problem.

What I'd like to know is: what does my sender address look like to other recipients? is it "Mike Wright", or is it some generic Fedora address? What does THIS post display on your thunderbird client as the "Correspondent"?

Thanks to any helpers.