Re: GnuCash's new reconciliation behavior

Ron Yorston writes:

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>It seems that after clicking a transaction, to mark it as reconciled, what
>happens now is that not only does the little checkbox next to the
>transaction gets set, but the entire transaction gets shuffled to the bottom
>of the transaction list, so that all reconciled transactions always appear
>after the unreconciled ones.

Were the transactions originally sorted in date order, as they used to be?

On my system with gnucash-3.1-3 transactions in the reconciliation dialog
appear in some order which defies logical anaylsis.

This is nothing more than change for the sake of change, when an application reaches a feature-complete state, like GnuCash did. At this point you often see the application start changing in random, nonsensical ways only to be able to increment its version number and mumble something in a ChangeLog. Let's see: the reconciliation dialog is simple, and it works intuitively, and has been this way for many years. That's no good, it must be changed in some farsical way. I know, let's use a random number generator to order the transactions, and each time you reconcile one, let's scramble the list again! That's worth a major version increase, doesn't it?

It's so much better than having to address long-term pain points, like being able to print more than one check without having to click your heels three times and repeating to yourself "there's no place like home".

Oh, and I almost forgot: let's change all the icons just to make them different, and have absolutely no bearing to what they do; like a gear icon for finishing the reconciliation. Previously that was some kind of a checkmark icon. Well, the new checkmark icon does something else! This'll make sure that everyone has to mouse over each one, in turn, and wait for its tooltip to come up, until they find the one they want.