Re: yum hangs and results in problems (Centos 7)

On Thu, 24 May 2018 20:44:08 +0100
Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry for cross posting folks, but I'm a bit desperate and the Centos
> mailing list doesn't seem to like me at the moment.
>
> All of this is on a Centos 7 system, but I'm hoping someone here can
> help

It's been years since I used yum, so the answers could be polluted with
dnf usage.

> Questions
>
> 1) Any ideas why my yum runs keep hanging, and what I can do to fix
> it?

Turn up the debugging in /etc/yum.conf.  I think the max is 10.
Redirect the output to a file, both stdout and stderr.

> 2) How do I go about fixing the problems listed above?

Below?  You need to remove the duplicate packages.  You can do that
manually, using rpm -e on the older duplicate package.

> 3) What do I need to do to get my server back in a safe, consistant
> state?

I think something was preventing yum from completing, so it was in
sleep.  When you interrupted it, that left things in an inconsistent
state.  Was your server running while you did the update?  Could it
have been blocking access to something that yum wanted to update?

> Details:
>
> My live mail server was due an update so I ran
>
> yum update
>
> All seemed file so I told it to proceed.  HOwever it then hung for
> over 30 minutes.

You should have checked the status of yum with top at least, to see
what was happening.

> yum-complete-transaction
>
> and
>
> package-cleanup --cleandupes
>
> both of which failed.

Bad sign, these should have worked if the system was left in a
consistent state.

> yum-complete-transaction --cleanup-only (which worked)

You could try the

package-cleanup --cleandupes

again.  If it doesn't work, remove the duplicates manually and
individually using
rpm -e
Read the manual for exact syntax, and use verbose.

Then run
rpm --rebuilddb
to put the rpm database in a consistent state.  That should have you
back in business.
You can test by running another yum update.  It might complain about
rpm updates outside yum, but that's all right.