Re: battery discharging whilelaptop powered off?

The guidelines quoted are also a bit dated.  Modern charge controllers
do a lot of control of the battery conditions based on temperature.  If
you look at your battery, you will see that there are 4 contacts.  two
are the charge current and two are to a temperature sensor.  The charge
controller monitors both current and voltage during charge, and
temperature is used to adjust the charge current.

	In addition, when you are plugged in, if the equipment designer
chose the appropriate charge controller, the battery is essentially
disconnected from the load during charging.  This allows charging to
proceed with the appropriate control of the current, voltage and
temperature.  In essence the charge controller incorporates the
switching to control when the battery is used vs the line for the load.

	Other things are incorporated into the battery management that
includes switching control for alternate voltages in some cases and max
discharge setting.

	Many of these charge controllers are propriatary, so you may
not find the full information on the ones you can find in your laptop
or cellphone, and many of the "modules" don't include the advanced
features or have them turned off or disconnected due to the complexity
of wiring and understanding the settings.

	All of this boils down to the fact that modern battery usage is
much more complex than just charge/discharge cycles and depth of
discharge.