Re: Could LightDM be bad?? (LONG)

Allegedly, on or about 20 May 2018, Beartooth sent:

> 	Under F27, they kept filling up with some sort of cruft, to the
> point of refusing dnf upgrade; but when I found any of the cruft, it
> was in places where I dared not lay about me with a cyber-battleaxe.
> I jumped to F28 the day of release.

Not enough real information for anyone to diagnose.

I run systems installed new, not upgrades over prior releases.  I don't
use special wiping tools to erase the hard drives before hand, I just
use the installer to delete prior partitions.  I install maybe about
six more programs than the default workstations (I use the MATE
desktop).  I use "dnf update" every few days, manually, to keep things
up to date.  I don't allow any automatic background updating, nor any
other updating tool to run.  I haven't do anything to clear the caches.
 I don't find my systems filling up with unexpected files.

What I do notice is that with systems left running 24/7, that things do
slow down and reboots can become required every few weeks.  There are
programs that just don't terminate every time when I log out.  Various
system/desktop daemons, sometimes web browsers.

> 	Startx always flashes a couple times, then fails with a few
> lines of text, beginning with an attempt to adopt my monitor size
> (called "1920 1080" -- not 1920x1080),losing contact,  and ending by
> saying that the Xserver "terminated successfully."

I've had a few dicey moments with a dying video card, that got swapped,
then I replaced the whole motherboard for something new (instead of
carrying on using something that's around 8 years old).  Graphics
problems can be due to failing hardware, or just poor supported
hardware, and sometimes badly designed monitors (ones that don't
announce their specs, or are still in stand-by mode when the OS is
trying to probe them).

> 	I'd like to try replacing LDM with something else; how do I do
> that?? (I like Mate well, and would prefer not to swap it out,too)

I just went with MATE's own display manager.  Unless you have a very
basic graphics set, or poorly supported one, it ought to manage the
job.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.16.7-100.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 2 21:45:56 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

- Mwuu haha haaaaa haaaa, soon the world will be mine!
- Sir, you've got to take your finger off the intercom button.