Re: Dell laptop for Fedora (XPS 13 or Latitude 7490) or worthier alternatives?

On Wed, May 09, 2018 at 09:49:28PM -0500, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two alternative Dell options (unless more suggestions come in re: what I should get).

     [ ... ]

> While we are at it, any other suggestions from DEll or others?

Yes: Dell Alienware.

Machines in this series are probably some of the fasted portables - I
got myself an Alienware 17 in 2014. Runs up until 3.8 GHz, without
problems.

Cons: Weight.

      Lousy battery, it seems: after four yrs. of usage it runs with
      small loads only ~75 minutes now. And I had to re-train the
      battery to last at least that long.  I used the machine at home,
      battery plugged in, but most of the time on AC/power cable.

      Trackpad surface slightly peeling off now.

      Price.

      On Fedora 26 xorg the mini-Display port doesn't work here for an
      external monitor setup.

Pros: After all the years (the first two or so with MS Windows): still
      fast. And reliably so.

      Display cloning works reliably with the HDMI port - after
      a little help by and tuning with xrandr.

      I use the machine both with a testing version of Debian (not
      often) and most of the time with Fedora, still 26 - just works.

      I can open the case and add or remove hardware, including the
      battery - definitely something I wouldn't like to miss ..

      Speed. Think about Fedora updates worth half a Gb or more, and
      the time it probably takes to install them on slow hardware: on
      this machine dnf install messages run down so fast I can barely
      read them ...

But careful: Dell - at least when I look at their pages - do seem to
offer Nvidia only for their new machines - and I wouldn't recommend to
use Nvidia GFX. (I bought this machine with an AMD/Pitcairn GPU back
then)

But the AMD card option is still described here:
http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/19/help-me-choose/hmc-aw-video-card-laptops
Still I couldn't find it in their current hardware configuration
options ...

Given the overall hardware performance - despite the glitches I
described, and perhaps a few minor ones that turned up sporadically -
I'd buy easily again another machine like that - provided the current
one keeps going for at least another four years as reliably as it has
done so far, and provided I can have an AMD card, or one even better
than that ..

Oh, nearly forgot that: the current AW's even look lots better than
mine ... ;)

HTH
Wolfgang

--