Re: ocsinventory package not in Fedora distro?

On Thu, 3 May 2018 17:39:42 +0200
Antonio M <antonio.montagnani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> https://www.ocsinventory-ng.org/en/rpm-repository-is-available-for-rhelcentosfedora/
>
> is this application needed by Franta??
>

> Antonio Montagnani

Hi Antonio,
thanks for reference to repo. Maybe this URL is normally available only
after registration at ocsinventory download page (which I did not do).
Or I can not search well...

> > Franta Hanzlík wrote:
> > > I want to upgrade my Fedora 19 server to Fedora 27, but is seems as
> > > from cca Fedora 24+ ocsinventory packages (server and agents) are not
> > > in Fedora repos (although this SW is still maintained and released
> > > under (Fedora acceptable) GPLv2 license:
> > > http://ask.ocsinventory-ng.org/7459/license-about-ocs-
> > inventory-ng?show=7459#q7459
> > > https://www.ocsinventory-ng.org/
> > > )
> > > With a situation when some packages are missing in new Fedora distros
> > > (and they was in previous) I have met several times, so I want to ask
> > > rather generally: Is it possible to find out the fate of such package?
> >
> > It generally is, though sometimes it takes a little digging.
> > The way I go about it is to check in the git repository for
> > packages.
> >
> > When a package is retired from the distribution the spec
> > file and other files are replaced with a dead.package file.
> > The dead.package file should include the reason the package
> > was retired.
> >
> > In the case of ocsinventory, it looks like it was orphaned
> > (which is what we call it when the maintainer formally
> > ceases to maintain the package).  If no one else steps up to
> > maintain the package it is then retired.
> >
> > You might start at https://src.fedoraproject.org/.  From
> > there you can select the "Browse" link in the upper right
> > and then search for ocsinventory.  That leads you to
> > https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/ocsinventory.
> >
> > You'll notice the reb bubble with "Retired on Fedora" near
> > the top.  To view the dead.package file, click on the Files
> > link.  From there, clicking on the dead.package link shows
> > the reason for the retirement:
> >
> >     2016-05-19: Retired orphaned package, because it was
> >     orphaned for more than six weeks.
> >
> > Hopefully that helps you a little (though not as much as
> > having ocsinventory available of course).
> >
> > It's always possible for someone else to unorphan the
> > package and pick up maintenance.  Fedora relies heavily on
> > volunteer maintainers.  Maybe someone reading will decide to
> > pick up the package. :)
> >
> > --
> > Todd
> > --

Hi Todd,
thanks you for your explanation and direction.
https://src.fedoraproject.org/ seems be right place for this.

Regards, Franta
--
I hope the Fedora will have a better init and no binary logs