Re: The /crypt method to support habitual clean installs of Fedora without losing data

On 05/02/2018 02:49 PM, Temlakos wrote:
On 05/02/2018 05:39 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
Are you trying to remove all the user configuration files as well?  If so, then just turn on "show hidden files" in Nautilus and delete the dot directories.  But of course, only do that if you really want to have to reconfigure everything again.

Here is the primary benefit I derived from this method. Each user's home directory has a number of hidden files (whose names begin with a dot) that contain configuration variables. After several iterations of the operating system, errors accumulate in those files. This results as much from the sheer obsolescence of certain configuration files and their parameters as from careless handling of the desktop. In my case, I had several icons of Mozilla Firefox in my system tray that I could not for the life of me remove. Furthermore, a password manager I liked to use, simply refused to load.

So just delete the dot directories as I mentioned above. If you really want to do it for all the users, then run:
sudo rm -rf /home/*/.??*
and don't mistype that!

Mounting /home on a separate filesystem does nothing to solve the problem of the accumulated errors of configuration. You asked whether I have to reconfigure everything. That's just it: yes. Because especially after several iterations of "dnf system-upgrade," the configuration is a mess!

I have only very rarely (single digit number of times) had an issue with configuration files and when I did, I just deleted that specific application's config files. I generally want my config files to stay around.

But mounting user data, like the contents of Documents, Pictures, etc., and even the contents of hidden application-specific directories like .mozilla (for Firefox) and .thunderbird, /does/ eliminate the problem. The errant files get erased with the rest of the filesystem, but the good user data remains.

Actually thinking about this, you would have to recreate all the user directories and the symlinks again (with the right permissions) after you do the reinstall! Is that really easier?

Now for that matter, I remind you that if you're going to mount a separate file system as /home, you still have to use a command that will make the mounting permanent and not something you have to execute every time you start the system up. So maybe you can tell me what the syntax of the mount command would be for that. I'm sure I can adapt that to the system I borrowed from that other user.

You add a line to the /etc/fstab file to automatically mount it at boot.