Re: The /crypt method to support habitual clean installs of Fedora without losing data

On 05/02/2018 02:24 PM, Temlakos wrote:
> Everyone:
>
> One of you (I don't know who it was) shared with me an excellent method
> of making possible a clean reinstallation of Fedora--going above and
> beyond the "manual upgrade" described in the Installation Guide, that
> amounts to erasing the /root directory but leaving alone all other
> directories, not only /home but /usr, /etc, /bin, /tmp, /var, and any
> others I might have left out. This method preserves user data on a
> physically separate filesystem (an HDD or SSD). But it does not mount
> this separate filesystem as /home. The /home directory remains a part of
> the main filesystem and gets erased and reinaugurated, just like /usr,
> /etc, /var, and all the rest of them.
>
> Rather, one establishes another mount point called /crypt and mounts the
> second filesystem at that point. On that filesystem, one creates (as the
> SuperUser or as a Wheel member) a separate directory for every user
> account. Within each user-account directory, are the directories named
> Documents, Pictures, Music, Public, Templates, Videos, and whatever
> other directories have you (including bin, which I find indispensible to
> my operations). On the original "home directory" of each user, one
> erases all these standard directories and sets up symbolic links to the
> directories residing on the second filesystem and addressable as
> /crypt/UserName/Documents (or Pictures or whatever) (where you replace
> "UserName" with the name of a registered user of the system).

I've read the rest of this thread and it sure seems that you are really
overcomplicating things. It is not the upgrade from one Fedora version
to another that's causing your config headaches, it's upgrading specific
_applications_ that causes them.

You'd run into the exact same thing if you updated, say Mozilla, from
one version to one that's incompatible with the old one. You'd need to
blow all the users' ".mozilla" directories away in that case. Why go
through all this? If a given user has a problem, then have them delete
their app-specific directory and let them reconfigure the app.

Viewing this as a sysadmin with over 30 years experience, doing
something that could potentially end up with hundreds of symlinks that
must a) be manually maintained; and b) rely on a yet another separate
filesystem to be mounted--all to try to prevent such obscure things
seems to be a very poor idea and a spectacular waste of time. Deal with
the issues IF they come up.