Re: HW and SW threats: how to block?

I don't know if this will top post or not since I'm replying via cellphone. But I'd like to chime in on a few points.

First off? I think crypto-currency is stupid. There, I said it. Yes it's my opinion, and I know there are those who will disagree with me and I'm fine with that. But it still doesn't change the fact that I think it's stupid. Bear with me for a moment: you basically run your machine night and day, trying to decipher some code...and THATS supposed to gain you this digital "coin" that is the equivalent to REAL MONEY? has NO ONE thought this through? How can money be MADE by the consuming of CPU cycles!? LoL! I'm sorry, I'm just a sarcastic guy from NY, but to me? it's HILARIOUS.

Also, I have always been suspicious of ANYTHING that tries to install or run ANYTHING without my explicit consent! This was one of the reasons why I left Windows to begin with! How many of you remember the times you'd be working on something important...only to have your system slow to a crawl while "Windows Installs Important Updates"? and then, not even being able to do anything until it was done or until it prompted you to restart your machine? Supposedly those days are over right? LoL! If I open Firefox or Midori and I notice anything strange happening? like my system becomes incredibly slow? I'd shut down the browser...and run ClamAV....then RKhunter....then Chrootkit. That's never happened to me since I don't allow things to run in FF without prompting me first...(as in some sites informing me that if I want to see the embedded video on their page I have to enable Adobe Flash, which I don't do. I prefer to read the content I came for, and then leave!) I also run BleachBit every month. And if I see any file I don't recognize? or that I know for a fact doesn't belong on my hard drive? it gets deleted. I know I might sound like a paranoid tin-foil hat wearin' conspiracy-theorist, but with the revelations of FB....and other recent exposures of personal data being stolen, hacked, sold, brokered, or otherwise being out of the control of "We The People", I think I would prefer to err on the side of caution.

And finally, to try to answer the OP's question: There is no magic "cure-all" when it comes to protecting your Linux systems, except determination, and diligence. When you have a Linux machine, whether it's a server....laptop....or desktop, you have to constantly do administration on it. And while it might sound tedious, the alternative is loss of control of your PC. And you can't be "lazy" when it comes to protecting your machine(s). No leaving updates from last month sitting in your Software center. No ignoring articles that warn you of upcoming or existing threats, do your homework, and focus on always being safe while online...no clicking on anything that you aren't sure is safe. No opening emails that don't come from sanctioned and verified emails. (For Pete's sake use a spamblocker!....or else create rules for your inbox allowing ONLY those email addresses. It may sound hard but once you have a system and methods in place? You'll find it's a lot easier than you think!!

Just my two cents....

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018, 7:05 PM Rick Stevens <ricks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 04/12/2018 09:53 AM, Tim via users wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 12 April 2018, home user via users sent:
>> Ad-blockers are not sufficient.  So let's please get back to the
>> original question.  There are several coin-mining blockers available
>> for Firefox.  Based on your experience, which is most effective?
>
> I would hazard a guess that script and Flash blockers would kill them.

And again, if you don't allow your browser or mail client to install
software (which is a spectacularly bad idea in the first place) and
you're careful about which links you click and which packages you
download and install, it's sort of a moot point.