Re: Issues trying to lock-down display resolution and overscan

On 04/04/18 17:47, Go Canes wrote:
  A while back my Intel NUC failed, and I replaced it with a newer one.
Since then I have been having a few issues with my display.

The first is overscan - the NUC is used as a media PC, and is hooked
up via an A/V receiver to a HDTV using HDMI.  Unfortunately there
doesn't seem to be a way to tell the TV to turn off the overscan.
With the older NUC, I used intel_panel_fitter (I think) to adjust the
display, and all was well.  But that program doesn't work on the new
NUC.  I can however, use xrandr's transform settings, and this seems
to be OK.  If anyone has better ideas for accommodating overscan
(other than buying a new TV), I would love to hear it!

For some time I thought I had set my Panasonic TV to disable overscan (it's in an Advanced Settings screen) but overscanning persisted. Then I realised that it is disabled *only* when 16:9 aspect is also specifically enabled - not just auto selected. That may not apply to your TV, but a bit more hunting might be worthwhile.

The second issue is that when I switch the TV away from the NUC, and
then eventually back to the NUC, the display is zoomed slightly - just
enough so that the KDE bar at the bottom is now off-screen.  I can use
xrandr to reset the transforms to their default, and then re-apply my
desired transforms and it is back to where it should be.  But I would
like to eliminate this annoying "zoom" altogether if possible.  I
thought maybe treating it similar to a KVM switch, and forcing the
modeline within the xorg config would help, but it doesn't seem to
change the behavior at all.

The third issue is that sometimes I lose the display more-or-less
completely.  I switch the receiver to the NUC, and I get a black
screen.  If I reboot (via a ssh session), I get nothing.  To get the
display back, I have to poweroff and cold boot.  The login screen is
fine, but after logging-in, KDE seems to be set for a lower resolution
(800x600?) than the TV is using (1080i), and I have go into "System
Settings" to correct it - which is difficult when you can't really
read the display very well!

Any suggestions on these issues would be appreciated!  My google
searches haven't come up with much help.