Re: empty messages from fedora users list. [CLOSED]

(junk mail filtering)
I have two filters.  Both are based on the "From" e-mail address only.  In both cases, when a message matches, the message is first marked as read, and then deleted.  Messages/digests from Fedora lists will not match the two filters.

(other filtering)
There is no other filtering.

(pristine install)
I bought the hardware new  5 years agi.  It's a DIY system.  I bought and installed windows-7 on it myself.  With help from the Fedora community, I then installed the then-current Fedora release on it.  (It's a dual-boot system.)  Thunderbird and Evolution came with Fedora.  Each week, I patch and scan the system.  The patching was then done with "yum".  More recently, it's done with "dnf upgrade --refresh".  Once every roughly 6 months, I upgrade to the next release of Fedora; here too, using the "dnf" command.  Any Thunderbird updates are done as a part of the weekly "dnf upgrade --refresh" or the semi-annual upgrades.  My Fedora is now at 26; my Thunderbird is at 52.5.2.  The only add-ons I have on Thunderbird are Shockwave Flash, the default theme, and the Lightning extension, all by default (not added by me).  (I hope I understood correctly what you asked.)

(looked at downloaded message)
Yes.  I did a "view source" on a Fedora Users list message that appeared to have an empty body.  I saved it.  I then viewed it as per Samuel's instructions.  The message looked fine.  Also as instructed by Samuel, I captured logs of a message download that then appeared to have an empty body, and posted the logs in Fedora pastebin.  They're gone by now.  I can re-post if you'd like.

(turning off automatic Evolution)
I'm using Gnome.
In the "Settings" GUI, I saw no way of controlling automatic starting of apps.
I have not found any command line equivalent of this Gnome GUI.
In the Plasma settings GUI, in the "Personalization" group, I tried the Applications icon.  No Evolution.
I signed out, and logged back in to Mate, and followed your instructions to turn Evolution off.  I rebooted the system and signed in to Gnome.  Six Evolution processes were running.
I checked “.bash_profile”, “.bashrc”. and “/etc/bashrc”.  My files only start “xeyes”.  I did not see “/etc/bashrc” starting Evolution.  There must be some other start-up or login scripts, but I don't know about them.  What are they, and where are they?

Samuel: I hope to get to your “socat” logging suggestions Monday.  I've been swamped for the past 2 days, and will be swamped tomorrow.

thanks,
Bill.