Re: mariadb-connector-c for MinGW

Hi Michael.

Am Donnerstag, den 22.03.2018, 17:35 +0100 schrieb Michal Schorm:
> Hi Dirk,
>
> MariaDB, MySQL and their C & ODBC connectors maintainer here!
>
> I agree with Michael Cronenworth, that the right way is to become a
> Fedora packager and start taking care of the new package.
> However, that can take some time and effort. (getting ready to become
> the packager, do a review of somebody's package, find a sponsor, get
> familiar with the infrastructure, propose a new package, a keep eye
> on it for few fedora releases )

Packaging for Fedora is my long term target. but, having a bunch of
other work to to, my target at this point is to build a package that is
simply usable for my convenience, i.e. after a reinstallation of the
system or for installation on other workstations. I'm sure, my package
doesn't reach the packaging guideline by now. But making it available
for others, since it works, is a good idea. The fine tuning for an
official release in Fedora can be done, when my time allows it.

> Posting the buildable package source files on Git{Hub,Lab,...} and
> asking somebody to build it in COPR seems like a good first step to
> me too.
> In adition, with latest COPR features, it should be possible to hook
> the external repo and rebuild automatically on each commit.

Yes, I have seen COPR works with GitHub. I have an FAS account for
years now, but I wanted to get some feedback here first.

I forked the Repo of mariadb-connector-c to my account. I make the
changes there and perhaps the MariaDB guys do a pull. My idea is to
contact them after the work is done.

> I don't understand MinGW at all, so my nex assumption may be wrong.
> If the changes to the sources are only cosmetic from Linux POV, but
> critical from MinGW POV, I'd be happy to offer the patch to MariaDB
> upstream. (Or you can do it yourself through either their JIRA or
> GitHub PR)

I use an old release for this, it's version 2.3.2 of the C connector,
the newer versions don't compile because of some functions and missing
portability. This issue is something I want to resolve in my holidays
in summer.

> Anyway, even though I don't work with MinGW, this sound's like cool
> package to have.
> I'd surely add it to Fedora wiki pages I wrote about MariaDB and
> software around.

I'll revise the package to make it conforming to the packaging
guidelines and to resolve the problem with version 3.x.x of the
connector.

Regards,
Dirk

--