Re: Starting programs when no internet connection is available

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 12:48:35 +0100
ni.ls@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm encountering a strange issue with my Fedora 27 Gnome installation.
> I'm sometimes connected to a WiFi network without a working Internet
> connection. When that's the case, some programs like Firefox,
> Thunderbird or even LibreOffice take really long to start. As soon as
> I disable the connection to that particular network (e.g. by enabling
> Airplane Mode), everything works smooth again.
>
> Any thoughts why that might be?

Thoughts only, not sure if they are true.  My suspicion is that they
are made aware of the connection from network manager as if it is
active, so try to access it, and then have to wait a period of time
until they decide it is not active.

A few months ago there was a discussion here about how network manager
decides that a network connection is live before it has actually
connected.  I think it would be neat if network manager did a ping of
a / the dns address associated with a connection before marking the
connection as active.  Maybe that isn't possible.

I don't think there is a solution to your issue other than the one
you've already found, or waiting for the timeout.

PS  pedantic note, no sanction, 'works smooth' should be 'works
smoothly'. smooth is an adjective, smoothly is the adverb.  Though
there are lots of native speakers who don't adhere to that e.g. real
and really, 'worked real hard' vs 'worked really hard'.  For them, not
you, it's a sign of poor education, and thus a class indicator.