Re: The Fedora Wiki page, "Mailing list guidelines" needs to update!

On 03/06/18 09:30, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 08:55:09 +0800
> Ed Greshko <ed.greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 03/06/18 04:39, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
>>> I don't have a problem if you put the link to the archives a second
>>> time prominently into some auto-generated list footer. Unnecessary
>>> as bad weather, I believe, because are there really MUA's out there
>>> nowadays, without the capability to display the mail-headers? But
>>> again, I won't complain ..
>> Since the headers

>> exist in each message do you consider the footer

>> equally "unnecessary as bad weather"?
> No. But if we're already at it: A reminder in the footer to the mail
> headers might be even more useful. Because there are a few more than
> the mentioned two ..

I doubt it, for several reasons.

1.  Many people seem to miss or ignore the footer.  Asking, "how do I unsubscribe".
2.  Why point users to email headers and make them jump through additional hoops?
Why invite the inevitable question "How to I display headers on "X" email client?"?
3.  Displaying the headers in many email clients will show links....but they won't be
clickable.  Why force people to cut and paste?

> Really: I do not care much about what to put into the footer or not.

Could have fooled me.  :-)

> But perhaps it is a good idea to put all user-relevant information in
> that very first welcome message from this list after subscribing to it:
> I just had a look at the one I got: it was very short, and maybe one
> could place a friendly reminder into that welcome message to the mail
> headers sent out with each new message from this list. And maybe even a
> friendly reminder to ask on this list *after* having put some
> reasonable effort to find a solution by oneself.
> Maybe a link to this page:

There once was a link to the Fedora Mailing List Guidelines which did (I've not
looked at it in a long time) have a section on "how to ask good questions" and "what
to do before posting".   See reason #1 above for how well that worked out.  :-)

--
If simple questions can be answered with a simple google query then why are there so
many of them?