Re: Display Manager Lagging After Last Update

On 26/2/18 9:50 pm, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 02/26/18 18:47, Ed Greshko wrote:
ll /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service   will point to what you're using.

systemctl status display-manager

also will tell you

Thanks Ed, that tells me I'm using gdm. I might be getting confused with Ubuntu, but I thought there was a .conf file somewhere that held the specification of the default display manager that could easily be edited to swap between any of the available display managers that you happen to have installed.

The issue I have with the lag, is when I use the mouse to drag the mouse pointer over the list of users, the highlighting process lags that badly that highlighting of users in the list gets skipped, and if I use the arrow keys to cycle backwards and forwards through the list of 5 users, it takes approx. 10 to 15 seconds for before each user gets highlighted.

Also having selected the user to login with, in my case my userid, and gotten the password prompt, I only use a short password being 5 characters long, I can type the entire password and press enter to action it, before the display manager displays to mask representing the first character of the password, having displayed the first mask character, it waits for a little while then displays the second mask character, waits for a little while and then displays the last 3 mask characters all at once.

I don't know if this is part of this issue or not, but having entered my password, the system then displays a "black screen" for a period of time before displaying the screen with the KDE logo on it to indicate that KDE is starting up, but whatever that "black screen" is, the production of that screen is enough to send my monitor into power saving mode until just before the KDE logo screen is eventually displayed.

I'm not using sddm because when I tried it, I didn't like its presentation layer, and the same applies to kdm.

regards,

Steve