Re: To replace fc27 Gnome with KDE spin?

On 16/2/18 6:24 am, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 02/15/2018 04:15 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
Samual and Steve, When I installed Fedora I got the screen where you can turn UEFI off.  Since I wanted to promote the DVD drive over hard disk boot, I turned it off.  I thought that was permanent.  However, now I can no longer get to that screen.  I have managed several time to interupt the boot, but I only have the choice of the existing Fedora or Rescue. Something, which has to be Fedora related, since it worked before, is stopping me booting from the DVD.

You can boot a DVD or USB drive in EFI mode.  That's what I use on all the new laptops that I install.  What laptop do you have?  Did you try the suggestions from my last email?  Once you get to the GRUB menu, it's too late.  If you watch carefully at the bottom or top of the screen when you first turn the laptop on or reboot it, there is often a very brief message saying which key to use to get the boot menu or the BIOS setup.  The key for setup is usually F10 or DEL.

As you said, Fedora shouldn't have changed the bios settings, but it could be possible. I don't use a laptop, I use a desktop, and I would have said that just plugging in a new graphics card would not have changed the Bios settings, but when I did that, the first boot dropped me into the bios setup automatically, where the power saving options were different (which makes sense because the new graphics card has different capabilities), but what didn't make sense was the timeout value for display of the bios setup up message had been changed from 3 seconds to 0 (which I assume means never display it). I have now changed that to 6 seconds because the original setting I made of 10 seconds was too long. The keys for entering the bios setup on my motherboard are F2 or DEL, both can be used.

As Patrick said, if you aren't getting the screen that tells you what keys will enter the bios setup, then as soon as you power on the laptop hold down the DEL key until either you get the bios setup screen or the grub menu. If you press the key at the right time and get to the grub menu then the key you pressed was the wrong one, so I would try each of the F1 through F12 keys until you find the one that does work, and then, once you get into the bios setup I would change the timeout to make the boot messages display for a bit longer so that you can see them and respond to them in a timely manner if you need to. My motherboard displays more than just the message about which key enters the bios setup, it also tells me that F11 will display a device boot menu, which in my case lists a lot more devices than can be select in the boot priority order settings.

The screen you are mentioning I have never seen before, as I have never done a fresh install of Fedora on a system with UEFI available. All fresh installs I've done were on a system that didn't have UEFI at all, or a system where I had disabled UEFI before I started the install. My current motherboard doesn't have an option to disable UEFI if my belief that on this motherboard I have to enable secure boot to enable UEFI is incorrect.

regards,

Steve