Re: To replace fc27 Gnome with KDE spin?

On 15/2/18 4:33 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
I mistakenly installed the Gnome Desktop from a live DVD  - my SSD is small, and I want KDE, so I have burned a disk with the Spin.  Problem now, though, is that Fedora appears to have turned UEFI back on, and I can't find any way of getting back to promoting the DVD drive.  Interrupting the boot simply offers me the choice of the existing Workstation or Rescue.  How can I access the spin install?

This sounds like you may have UEFI enabled in your motherboard bios. When you boot you machine it should display a start up interface that lets you go into the motherboard bios setup, the key for this is usually F2 or DEL. Have a look in there to see if it provides any mechanism to turn UEFI on or off, and whether it provides any mechanism to change to order of boot device selection and whether that provides any distinction between UEFI and legacy devices. The motherboard previous motherboard I had provided that level of functionality with drag and drop boot ordering with visual UEFI indicators on the device icons, the current motherboard I have doesn't provide that level of functionality.

Just one question on this, what makes you think that F27 has turned UEFI back on? I ask this because I am not using UEFI on any of the 3 operating systems I use on this machine as I don't have any efi partitions, but F27 has installed efi packages and created an efi directory structure within /boot.

regards,

Steve

Anne