Re: Fedora27: Ethernet interfaces set to 100MBits/sec half duplex

On 13/2/18 8:05 am, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 02/13/18 04:21, Terry Barnaby wrote:
I have just noticed that most of my systems now have their Ethernet interfaces
running at 100 MBits/s half duplex rather than the expected 1GBits/s.

I think some update has caused this to happen, probably about 5 days ago (noticed
something was slow). These are KDE/Plasma GUI systems but I'm not sure if this is
due to a change in KDE/Plasma, NetworkManager or something else.

The KDE/Plasma NeworkManager settings GUI interface now has an "Allow
auto-negotiation" checkbox which I don't think was there before and there is now
the entry ETHTOOL_OPTS="autoneg on" in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
file if you set it. It appears that the default setting is 100MBits/s half duplex
rather than auto negotiate...

All of my bare metal systems are KDE only.  All of them are fully update.  All of
them are running at....

         Speed: 1000Mb/s
         Duplex: Full

The "Allow auto-negotiation" box has been there for as long as I can recall.   As a
matter of fact, there was (maybe still is) a bug that prevents saving configuration
changes if that box is not checked.

What are the systems connected to?  You may want to reset it?

I am using a home plug device to get ethernet access across the home electrical wires. The home plug device is provide 500 Mb/s, so having seen this thread I've checked my ethernet configuration and like Terry is saying my settings have auto negotiate unchecked and the link speed is set at 100 Mb/s and Half Duplex. I have not explicitly set that configuration but what I don't know, because I haven't really taken any notice of it as I only use this connection as a backup to wireless, is whether or not those settings have always been there. I have done any changes to the configuration since I set it up in F26.

regards,

Steve