Re: Internet camera connection -

On 02/07/2018 11:22 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 02/07/18 13:36, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> I should have added that your firewall on your router is NOT a
>> replacement for having firewalls on your individual computers. I have
>> home automation along with a number of cameras. I don't use the cloud to
>> handle my cameras (Foscams) although I could. I use ZoneMinder on one
>> of my systems and it controls the cameras. I have firewalls on all of
>> my systems as well as the router's firewall. Thus, even if the router is
>> compromised, my systems are still safe due to their own firewalls.
>>
>> Belts and suspenders, you know.
>
> +
>
> Yes, I agree,use as much protection as is available.
>
> I assume the combination of the dd-wrt firewall and Fedora's firewalld
> are providing adequate protection? I have not had any problems of which
> I am aware. :-\
>
> I think I have developed enough confidence to run one of these cameras
> on their cloud system and see what kind of usage numbers my router logs.
> Usage is limited and always a concern for me. We are in a rural area and
> the cable company refuses to provide service, we are about a half mile
> from the end of their line and even then I would wonder if they could
> match Viasat's reliability.

Ah, yes, I forget that some people do have limited internet access.
My apologies.

You might consider doing what I do regarding using ZoneMinder (ZM). If
your ZM machine is visible to the internet (e.g. your router permits
incoming connections without using the restricted cone NAT or you can
do port-forwarding), then viewing the webcams would be on-demand (you'd
only use bandwidth if you or your family hit your ZM server from
outside) since the cameras would be reporting to your ZM server and not
the cloud. You also get the benefits of alarms, recording the cameras'
streams, etc. etc.

Ah, the games one must play. :-)