Re: how to digitize a sizable CD collection using fedora?

On 02/04/18 11:58, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 02/03/2018 04:21 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> I've found that folks have a tendency to overvalue lossless formats but in fact their
>> ears aren't up to the task.
>
> I definitely do notice mp3 artifacts sometimes.  However, the reason I've switched
> to flac is just to have a true archive of the original cd.  It's a straight copy
> without even volume normalization.  I then convert that to a high-quality ogg file
> with normalization.  In the future, if I need a different format, different volume
> adjustment, or even recreate the original cd, I don't have to use the compressed
> version, I can go back to the original copy.

Of course everyone's ability to recognize "artifacts" is going to vary depending on
their physical condition as well as the equipment which they listen on.

What someone chooses to do with regards to transferring from CD to HD will depend on
how they intend to play, how much space they want to devote, and how much time they
expect to devote to doing the work.

I happen to be the type of person that is more interested in just listening to the
music than thinking I may want to do more conversions later.  That is why I spent the
time when I did to find what works best for "me".  As a matter of fact, in the 3
years since I transferred my collection from CD to ogg files I've never said to
myself "I wish I had done things differently".  And I've never been tempted to
recreate the original CD.  :-)  Only recently did I replace my CD/DVD drive which had
been broken for about 2 years.

Most of my listening is done via VLC on one of my Android devices with my Bose
headphones.  Since VLC can play flac, mp3, ogg, as well as wav I've never been
constrained by the format others have sent to me.  Kind of why I've stayed away from
Apple products.  I've wanted to share music and videos with a few Apple Fan Friends
and grumbled when I had to convert for them.  Got close to wishing I would have spent
a few extra $ on a NAS that did real-time conversions.  :-)

--
A motto of mine is: When in doubt, try it out