Re: Organising photos visually

On Tue, 2018-01-30 at 08:20 +1100, Stephen Morris wrote:
> On 30/1/18 12:22 am, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> > > I think the buzzword for searching for software is "gallery," and
> > > most of them are web-based.  I use pwigo (www.pwigo.orgorg ), which has a
> > > manual sort option (though you have to dig in a little to find it).
> >
> > It's actually piwigo, but thanks. I'll take a look.
> >
> > > But if you're not serving a web page somewhere, I don't know.  There's
> > > always the Wikipedia page to sort through, I guess, though I don't find
> > > that useful as often as I hope:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparis
> > > on_of_photo_gallery_software
> >
> > I'm already using Google Photos, which I suppose counts as a gallery,
> > but it can get a bit slow when dealing with large batches so I
> > generally use it for sharing the final results. My idea was to find a
> > tool to process photos locally before uploading them. I'll check out
> > that Wikipedia page in any case.
>
> I do most of my photo editing with Photoshop Elements/Organiser in
> Windows, which potentially has the capability you are looking for
> particularly via organiser, but I'm not sure of the graphic quality if
> running it from a VM (when I tried in the past I wasn't able to get it
> to install and work under wine). I haven't played around much with
> similar photo editing tools under Linux, but I'm wondering if
> 'Rawtherapee' or 'DarkTable' have the functionality you are looking for?
> If I remember correctly, both packages are in the Fedora repositories.

Neither of these is really what I'm looking for. They have lots of
tools for image manipulation, which might be useful at a later stage,
but don't address the question of just manually ordering the files.
Possibly they could be arm-twisted into doing this by means of copying,
 as could Digikam, Shotwell etc., but it's a lot of overkill for what
is in principal a very simple requirement: the files were scanned in a
certain order, but I want to reorder them in the sequence the shots
were actually taken. This has to be manual because the files have no
EXIF information. I appreciate that this is a rather specific
requirement so I'm not that surprised that it isn't supported.

poc