Re: Watchdog timer and slow shutdown

On 30/1/18 7:17 am, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Mon, 2018-01-29 at 09:46 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
I get the same issue on my system but for me it is completely random as
to when it happens and when it doesn't. The last time it happened , it
paused for a minute or so after the normal watchdog not stopping
message, and just before it eventually decided to shutdown another
message was displayed that looked like it might have been relative to
mounts, but it disappeared too quickly to be sure.
Have you ever checked the status of the processes (such as via top or
ps with an "-o s" option) to see if they're in a D state? If so, they're
in an I/O wait state and poking them via signal() won't wake them. They
either timeout or you just pull the rug out via a reboot.
I don't think that's it. If they're being killed after a watchdog
timout then they are responding to a signal.

I would like to understand what is happening, why it is happening and how to fix it so it doesn't happen again.

How does one issue top or ps to check if there are hung processes while in the process of trying to shutdown?

I only use linux for a couple of hours a day, before going to work, so what appears random to me may not be for someone who reboots their machine more frequently, but I got the issue again yesterday, having not had it for maybe a week or so. This time the symptoms were different from every other occasion, when I rebooted I was given a black screen for a period of time (I don't know exactly how long for, I didn't time it), then the normal message of 'Unexpected shutdown, not stopping watchdog' appeared and then the machine shutdown immediately, every other time that message has been displayed immediately and then the delay happens.

Just on that message, how is it an unexpected shutdown when the reboot/shutdown has been explicitly invoked from the KDE Throbber/Gnome Titlebar?

regards,

Steve

poc