Re: Interaction between grubby and grub2-mkconfig

On 21/1/18 4:58 am, stan wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 10:24:26 -0500
Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Did anyone use grub2-mkconfig before, to generate a new grub.cfg, and
then subsequently installed kernels new without grubby causing any
issues?
Yes, I've done this without any problems.  Grubby puts the latest entry
on its own line, I like the submenu style so I usually run
grub2-mkconfig after an update, to make sure I get the style I like.
But I've booted from configs where grubby had added the line I booted
from.

Running grub2-mkconfig also makes sure that I can boot other Fedora
installations from that config file as it scans the drives for other
bootable partitions and puts them in the config.  The old grub used to
be better for this, as a single config file could just point to all the
configs on other partitions and select them to bring up the menu for
them.

I have always used grub2-mkconfig and the old grub equivalent as I have never liked the boot menus that grubby generates. The one thing I don't like about this process is that I also boot Ubuntu and Windows from the grub menu as well and I have never been able to get grub to boot Ubuntu via its gui boot interface, it always boots via Ubuntu's text interface. The reverse is same, in that if I use Ubuntu to write the grub2 menus to the mbr then they boot Fedora via its text interface rather than its gui interface. Do you have any experience around configuring grub to boot other distros via there gui interfaces, other than manually editing grub.cfg to achieve that?

regards,

Steve